Personal Bests

  • 04/07 Boston Marathon3:33:22
  • 10/08 Hartford Half Marathon 1:46:23
  • 09/06 New Haven Road Race 20K 1:36:47
  • 08/04 Deary 5-M Road Race - my 1st race ever 39:37
  • 11/06 VMG 5K 21:05
  • 07/06 Boombox Mile 6:12

Breaking The Tape

Upcoming Races 2010

Stay Tuned!

Awash in Optimism

As usual, the RBF came swooping in to rescue me from my doubts and fears. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and advice, all needed and wanted.

It’s nice to know that I am not alone in this experience of “taper brain” or “taper madness” as Hollie and Mark have called it (see comments from yesterday’s post).

Between the RBF, my running partners, the new Runner World’s magazine (arrived yesterday) and an inspirational running book (also arrived yesterday) I feel MUCH, MUCH better about the whole marathon thing.

Last night’s run was just the thing I needed to give me that extra optimistic boost. April-Anne, Michelle and I met for our “chicks run in the woods” with a goal of 4.5 miles. We were still testing Michelle’s new Nike mp3 Run gadget, so we wanted to run the same exact route we did last Thursday to check the calibration.

Off into the wet woods we went – it had been raining most of the day, and it was sprinkling just a bit as we hit the trail head. The temperature was in the mid 60’s (F) and the park was mostly deserted…essentially we had the place to ourselves. There were quite a few puddles to navigate around and the roots and rocks were even more treacherous than usual with the wet leaves on top of them.

Right before mile 2, the rain started to come down just a little bit harder. At this point we were soaking wet, hats and shirts dripping big, huge droplets of water. Shoes sloshing. The puddles started to get bigger and as the rain came steadily pouring down, small river-lets of water formed and burbled down the trail. I found myself running on the side of the trail, into the prickers and trees, trying to keep my feet out of the puddles. My shins and ankles started to ache, presumably from working so hard to keep me from slipping and falling.

Eventually I just ran right through the puddles, mud splashing up the back of my legs and splattering onto my knee brace. The best part…as the run continued, I could feel myself getting more and more energetic…I was smiling to myself, wringing rain water out of my shirt and “picking a line” over all the trail obstacles in leaps and jumps. I felt like I was mountain biking, but without the bike.

It was awesome.

We finished up in 39:11 and climbed into our respective cars soaking, sopping, dripping wet. I had promised Michelle that it would be 1) fun and 2) that she would need her splash guards and mud flaps. I think I delivered on that promise.

And I smiled all the way home.

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>